Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

The Pirates Are Coming!


Here is a cover and a preview/promo page for the upcoming comic, Open Fire! It is not a new project for the writer, Troy Minkowsky, but it's a new one for me. In fact I don't think I have ever drawn a comic about pirates, zombies and other fantasy figures before (except mermaids). I definitely have not drawn a comic that features a sock puppet, that one is a first! I really enjoy doing the artwork for this story, though. The characters are interesting, and there are at least three female characters in the story, which appeals to me. I also enjoy drawing seascapes, sea creatures and all that good stuff, and it's always fun to do something that is entirely new to me. I hope this won't be the last you hear of this story! There will be more to follow...

9 comments:

Christian "The Card" Hegg said...

Im a friend of Troy's and its fantastic to see the work come alive with such detail and wondrous characters. Very impressive stuff!

Line O said...

Thanks so much, Christian! I really appreciate the feedback! :-)

Anonymous said...

I quite look forward to reading the rest of this! The artwork is great, and seems to fit the tone the story wonderfully. I love the panel of the figure silhouetted against the seascape!
BTW I wanted to let you know that I now have a functioning website up: www.julianpeterscomics.com

Line O said...

Julian, thank you so much! I've added a link from my blog to your web page. Thanks to the Being Manly blog, I've been able to check it out...I'm a big fan of your artwork, it is absolutely stunning!

Anonymous said...

Thanks! I have added a link to you on my website as well. Apparently incoming links are one of the best ways to move up on the google image search pages. I'm still figuring out my website though, and I can't see how the links are visible to visitors, as they only appear on my gravatar profile.But I'll figure it out eventually.

Dave M! said...

I've always been a fan of your work, but this is taken up a notch or two. Your usual great linework, charm and design are here ... applied to a new genre. Thanks for dedicating your "spare time" to this. Great, great, great.

Line O said...

Thank you, Dave! I really, really appreciate your encouraging comments, especially since they come from the Master of Comic Book Art himself! :-)I also appreciate all the great work you do at BCR, sharing your skills with us. May your Art of the Comic Book class at MassArt always fill up!

Dave M! said...

Me again. How large is your original art? These pages pack a lot of your usual detail/design combination. My guess is that whatever size you're working has nothing to do with old or new industry standards.

Line O said...

Exact measurement? I'm not sure. They were made to fit standard size paper (8.5 x 11, and 11 x 17)that I printed them out on. They are maybe 1/2 time bigger? Smaller than I usually draw my pages, though that's not saying much, since I prefer to draw enormous pages! :-) Sadly, enormous pages take so long, so this was more time-efficient, and I don't think the art suffered this time :-) I don't like to draw on much smaller pages, though, because I like to draw lots of detail (as you know :-)