Search This Blog

Friday, June 25, 2010

Childhood Nostalgia in the Merchant Marines





Right now, I am spending all the free time I have (and a large chunk of the not-so-free time, not to mention all the time-I-should-definitely-be-doing-something-else) inking the last pages of my Inbound 5 submission. Inbound 5 is all about food, and my story ("The Sardine's Tale") is a 10-page comic set on board a Norwegian bulk carrier in the mid-70's, told from the perspective of the chef's 5-year old daughter. There will be an abundance of food in the story (but no strawberry jelly), adventures in faraway restaurants, tall tales and cute pin-up girls. It's all a short-version tall tale of my own childhood in the Norwegian merchant marines, as seen through the typical nostalgic lens that seamen tend to remember those good old days.





No comments: